Saturday 27 October 2012

Branching out at the Bluecoat

I feel like I should be making more of an effort to enjoy Chinese art due to the fact I'm going to Australia and Chinese art is a big thing out there. As part of Liverpool Biennial, the Bluecoat has several exhibitions going on and I was glad to be forced into some oriental themed art and it wasn't actually that bad! There was a really interesting exhibition on the top floor by Sun Xun, where still images were mixed with moving, repeated videos and the effect was amazing. Photos couldn't really do it justice but even the pictures of the still work look great - the work looks textured which makes the work feel rustic and raw, especially with the overlapping strips of paper.

To me, Chinese art just felt like a lot of drawings of blue waves, birds and foliage, occasionally being painted on a pot, and after today I can't really say I was wrong. Waves featured quite a lot in the art work but it wasn't as boring as I thought. The repeated patterns were actually quite therapeutic and delicate on the wall, along with the paper hangings of birds. The colours that Chinese art uses is so calming (not boring), and whilst the art isn't the most eye-catching, controversial or interesting, there needs to be some nice, peaceful and beautiful work for us to look at after we've had enough of being interested.

Whilst there was a lot of Chinese work there, I fell in LOVE  with an artist called Jakob Kolding who had a really distinctive technique that I'm a massive fan of. Cutting and pasting images is so easy but just looks so good, very John Stezaker, and I just love it.

The Bluecoat has been gifted with having a beautiful building and 2 courtyard areas, and these are effectively used for the Biennial. The huge instillation in the front of the building looks like a revolving door that doesn't revolve. The reflective material used on the outside draws me in, and really all it is is a non revolving door.
I'm glad I'm starting to like Chinese art, hopefully I'll appreciate it more when I get to Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment