Monday 14 October 2013

Seven Days in the Art World - Sarah Thornton

As much as I love going to art galleries and museums, sometimes I don't have the time and I feel like I'm failing as an art blogger because I'm absent most the time, so I've decided to do an art BOOK review! Exciting!

I read this book a couple of months ago and I really enjoyed it, it gives so many insights into the art world and opened my eyes to different roles. As I want to work in the art world, but have no idea which section I want to be in, it really helped.

Sections included art fairs, biennials, artists, magazines, auctions, student art crits, among others - Thornton uses real names all the way through so I became introduced to big names in various sectors of the industry, and how each part works and all the effort and stress that goes into the industry.

This book actually really inspired me to make sure I keep trying to get into the art industry because there are so many roles that need to be played - even the thought of working in an auction house seems really appealing after reading the first chapter of the book. The sheer amount of information that Thornton gives is outstanding, it's definitely a book that can be read by a newbie to art or an experienced member of the art world. I would recommend it to anyone that is studying art, history of art, or looking to get into the art world!

No comments:

Post a Comment