Saturday 29 September 2012

Liverpool Biennial - Installations

Installation 

I went to Liverpool this Friday and managed to visit a couple of the Biennial venues (not many though!), and I also managed to view some of the outdoor installation work which was very impressive to say the least. The theme of this years Biennial is 'the Unexpected Guest', so a lot of the works question hospitality  belonging, society, secrecy and acceptance. All the outdoor installation work was very eye-catching and beautiful, my favourite being the outdoor colourful pigeons by Patrick Murphy (pictured), which questioned the theme of belonging, as pigeons are often unwanted and have no real environment  yet these colourful birds seem inviting and entertaining and therefore WANTED, but unfortunately their garish and loud presence isn't in necessarily what it takes it 'belong'.

Other outdoor installation pieces include the VIP door by Elmgreen and Dragset which is placed in Liverpool ONE, and consists of a VIP door that can never fully open enough for someone to get through - no one is a VIP. Another installation in the Liverpool ONE is a lift that breaks through the floor, looking like a futuristic wreckage, playing on the 'unexpected' of the Unexpected Guest theme.

Questioning society and culture, José Ángel Vincench uses five trailers that spell out the world 'EXILE' for people who have to flee their home country for political reasons. I think the use of trailers was an excellent touch as it shows the ever moving state of immigrants who have had to escape their country.

One of the final installation pieces that I saw whilst in Liverpool was called 'I Love You' by Jiri Kovanda, hanging from the walls of Lime Street Station was a huge sign saying 'I Love You'. When I first saw it I literally didn't have a clue what was going on, I though maybe someone was proposing in a weird way like some people do, but then I found it was a piece of art. It really did feel like the Unexpected Guest because it was very unexpected.








No comments:

Post a Comment